Sunday, September 2, 2012

Point of Retreat (Slammed #2) by Colleen Hoover

Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2)
Book cover from goodreads
Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

Hardships and heartache brought them together…now it will tear them apart. 

Layken and Will have proved their love can get them through anything; until someone from Will’s past re-emerges, leaving Layken questioning the very foundation on which their relationship was built. Will is forced to face the ultimate challenge…how to prove his love for a girl who refuses to stop ‘carving pumpkins.’ (goodreads description)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I give Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover 5/5 stars for being absolutely amazing and definitely less gloomy this time around. (Less gloomy equals less blubbering, on my part, which is definitely a good thing.)


Disclaimer:

Once again, like my review on Slammed, I have found myself completely emotional and struggling to write yet another review for this series. It will be short and sweet but I would give nothing less for such an amazing novel. 

Once of my biggest concern for Point of Retreat was the switch to Will's POV. It almost made me not want to continue the series (I have issues with male POV's). I'm so glad I didn't listen to myself. I would have missed out!


Point of Retreat obsession:

I would love to begin this review by point out that Ms. Hoover has mad skills. I’m not sure why it took me so long to start the Slammed series but I’m sure glad I did. I’ve cried, screamed, swooned, and straight-out want to punch a character in the face. Altogether, Slammed was one of the best books (series) of the year. I’m now eagerly and impatiently waiting for the next installment,Will s Story, due out in 2013. *finger crossed the release dates moves up*


Point of Retreat review:

Point of Retreat begins exactly where Slammed ended. From the epilogue, inSlammed, we find out that it has been an entire year since Layken Cohen and Will Cooper finally became an official couple. Much is happened in the past year, more importantly speaking, Layken and Kel’s mom Julie has inevitably passed in September from lung cancer. Since this is the case, Layken is now the sole guardian of Kel making her predicament very similar to Will and Caulder’s. 

However, of course, there wouldn’t be another novel unless there was more drama arising to destroy Layken and Will’s perfect world. That ‘drama’ is in the form of Will’s ex, Vaugh Gibson. From Slammed, we learned that Vaugh was Will’s girlfriend for the two years before his parents died. Their relationship, ended after Vaugh left Will heartbroken two weeks after his parents died. What a swell girl, huh? Oh you just wait. It gets better.


Recommend?:

Yes!. Point of Retreat is a perfect secondary novel to follow Slammed


Notes:

Once again, I find myself thrilled by the whole idea of slam poetry. I think the whole concept is brilliant and I really wish I could make one of my own. We’ll see. I may even post it later to this review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment