Sunday, September 2, 2012

Slammed (Slammed #1) by Colleen Hoover


Slammed (Slammed, #1)
Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope. 

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Honestly, if I could give Slammed by Colleen Hoover more than a 5/5 star rating, I would in a heartbeat. That is how much I love Slammed


Disclaimer:

Due to the blubbering mess that has become of me since finishing Slammed, I’m afraid this novel will not get a proper review until I can control myself. Having said this, I will at least attempt to write some sort of review onSlammed for the time being. 


My attempt at some sort of Slammed review:

First and foremost, I feel the need to explain how much of a disadvantage I was at going into this novel. For the friends who recommended Slammed to me, I hate you all for giving me the wrong impression! I was completely unprepared for this novel. 

From the synopsis, the reader is made aware that 18-year-old Layken Cohen has recently lost her father. Though I fully understand the emotional fallout that would accompany such a tragedy, I was by no means expecting the novel to be as heart-wrenching as it was. 

On a more positive and less depressing note, I thought it was really awesome and such a cool idea how Ms. Hoover integrated slam poetry into her novel. I, for one, have never been too enthusiastic when it came to poetry to begin with but I have to admit, I may like this concept of slam poetry. I would love to actually see it in person one day. 


Reminiscing...

The only background knowledge I had on this type of poetry prior to the novel dates back to that movie made back in 1999 called Drive Me Crazy(based on the popular song by Britney Spears). You know the one with Melissa Joan Hart and Adrian Grenier? I remember the scene where character Adrian Grenier plays, Chase Hammond, is sitting in a coffee shop with his girlfriend and someone (maybe his girlfriend) is performing slam poetry. That is as far as my memory stretches so if I missed a detail, oh well, it was 13 years ago. 


Recommend?:

Absolutely. Slammed is such as amazing novel, I would recommend it to any looking for a very powerful read. Yes, I won’t mislead anyone. This novel deals with intense topics that will bring out the water works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment