Friday, March 30, 2012

Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer #1) by Karen Chance


Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1)


Touch the Dark by Karen Chance

Like any sensible girl, Cassie tries to avoid vampires. But when the bloodsucking Mafioso she escaped three years ago finds Cassie again with revenge in mind, she's forced to turn to the vampire Senate for protection.The undead senators won't help her for nothing, and Cassie finds herself working with one of their most powerful members, a dangerously seductive master vampire- and the price he demands may be more than Cassie is willing to pay.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


**Spoilers are in white (scroll over to reveal text)**




It kills me to give Touch the Dark by Karen Chance 3.5/5 stars but I have to be honest with myself. 


The three stars don’t mean I didn’t enjoy the book. Cassie is the type of heroine I really like: sassy, brave and goodhearted. I really found myself connecting with Cassie and wanting to see her connect all the dots in her life and figure out who she really is. 

So why did I give it 3.5/5 stars? Easy, I have three main pet-peeves when it comes to books and Touch the Dark hit them all unfortunately. 

1. Too many details!: 

My biggest issue with the book was the excessive descriptive paragraphs. I have never been a huge fan of authors being too detailed. It seemed that every time Cassie walked into a room she had to comment on what everyone was wearing. I found myself thinking, ‘Did they change their clothes in such a short period of time?’ This was even more apparent when it came to poor Louis-César. This poor guy couldn’t get a break. Cassie made sure to let the reader knew that his buttercup yellow satin and tight pants assemble were a crime against fashion. 

2. History: 

I hate history. I always approach history the same way, ‘This is placed in the book to help me understand the world better not to torture me.’ Though I am glad Ms. Chance told the history through dialogue and not ‘thinking time’ for the heroine, the dialogue became to excessive (forming lengthy paragraphs). The one-way ticket to zone-fest, for me, happens when authors put too much history all clumped together. I see huge paragraphs full of history and I freak out. Hence, why I connect history with torture. 


3. Randomness!: 

I can mention one scene in particular that really made me think, ‘How is this happening right now? How did we get here?’ That particular scene happens at the end of this book when a certain guy randomly starts taking his clothes off to get down a dirty with our dear Cassie. Not that I’m complaining, it was very hot. 

I also felt that conversations would go off in crazy directions I never foresaw until it was too late. For instance (spoiler)  Cassie and her crew would start by talking about her visions but end up discussing how Prikin thought she was a ‘freak of nature.’ This resulted in Louis-César having to step in and redirect the conversation more than a few times. Honestly, what would we do without Louis-César? The poor guy may have terrible fashion sense, but he keeps everyone on track.  (spoiler)

Though I had trouble with book, I would still recommend it to anyone looking for a very action packed novel. Oh, and the guys in the books aren't so bad either. They have no problem bring the heat what-so-ever. 


I originally posted this review February 8, 2012 on http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/178692541

No comments:

Post a Comment