Friday, March 30, 2012

Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer #2) by Karen Chance


Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)

Claimed By Shadow by Karen Chance

Clairvoyant Cassie Palmer has inherited new magical powers-including the ability to travel through time. But it's a whole lot of responsibility she'd rather not have. Now she's the most popular girl in town, as an assortment of vamps, fey, and mages try to convince, force, or seduce her—and her magic—over to their side. But one particular master vampire didn't ask what Cassie wanted before putting a claim on her. He had a spell cast that binds her to him, and now she doesn't know if what she feels for him is real—or imagined…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


**Spoilers are in white (scroll over to reveal text)**




This book was utterly amazing. A total 360 degrees from the last novel. I give Claimed By Shadow by Karen Chance a 5/5 stars. 

Reservations on "Touch the Dark": 

I need to start out by explaining that I truly struggled with the first book, "Touch the Dark." I found the novel to be heavily descriptive and very confusing at times. I also felt that, though there was action, the majority of the book took place in a living room setting (where the characters proceeded to shove history down our throats). If you read my first review of "Touch the Dark," you will know that there is nothing more annoying then having to read through lenghtly paragraphs of pure history. It was torture. 

Glad I read "Claimed By Shadow": 

Having said that, I feel no such way about "Claimed By Shadow." Since the second I picked up this book, I haven’t been unable to put it down. I was completely shocked by how different this novel turned out. 
"Claimed By Shadow" surely doesn’t suffer from the short comings of its processor (mostly the drawn out descriptions and nonexistent dialogue). 

In "Touch the Dark," I balk of the story was told through Cassie (only giving her feelings on the majority of revelations). Furthermore, this left me feeling a great connection with Cassie but unable to really bond with the other marvelous cast of characters. Since there was more dialogue featured in "Claimed By Shadow," I found myself not only strengthening my connection with Cassie her whole group as well. 
(spoiler) This connection was not always appealing since there was a death in this novel, which made me extremely sad. (spoiler)


Guy trouble: 

When I was first looking into this book, I came across a few other reviews that basically labeled Cassie as a sex-manic. From this description, I must have missed something. When exactly did the whole sex-manic come? 

Early on in the novel, you do find out that Cassie has had a geis cast on her. What the geis , in this case, binds Cassie together with a certain man. I won’t say who the man is or if the geis is resolved or not but I can add that Cassie isn't too happy about it. So what does a woman do when she finds herself bound to a man without her consent? She rebels. Not a sex-manic rebellion though. 

*scratches head* 

I’m still now seeing it. 


Recommend it?: 

As I said throughout the review, "Claimed By Shadow" more than compensates for the first novel. If you are on the fence as to if you should continue on with Cassie’s story, I can honestly say, DO IT. There will be no disappointments in this book. 


I originally posted this review February 11, 2012 on http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/274180903

No comments:

Post a Comment