Friday, March 30, 2012

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews


Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)


Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake. 

Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate's guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta's magic circles. 

The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings—and the death of Kate's guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she's way out of her league—but she wouldn't have it any other way…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


After reading Magic Bites, I really found myself puzzled on what rating to give this book. After much deliberation, I decided on a rating of 4/5 stars. 

My reasoning: 

Though the book is very fast paced, the beginning was quite a bore-fest. That being said, there is light at the end of the tunnel so don't you dare give up hope! As soon as you get to around page 40, the action begins and pretty much never ends. You are thrown into one action packed scene to the next with very little break in between. 

Interesting note: 

The presumed love interest, Curran, shows up on page 53 with quite an introduction that leaves you begging for more. I'm not ashamed to say, I searched his name on my ebook to see how many more pages until we would once again be graced us with his presence. That is not to say that I wasn't interested in the scenes without him, the guy is too sexy for his own good (I have been enchanted under his spell). 

Final say: 

When I got to the last page, I was truly sad to find the book had ended, and then I realized book two (Magic Burns) was in my grasp and the world was all good again. 

Would I recommend it?: 

Hell yeah, why are you not reading it?



I originally posted this review January 16, 2012 on  http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/177631321

No comments:

Post a Comment