Friday, March 30, 2012

One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6) by Jeaniene Frost


One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6)
One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost
How do you send a killer to the grave when he’s already dead?

Having narrowly averted an (under)World War, Cat Crawfield wants nothing more than a little downtime with her vampire husband, Bones. Unfortunately, her gift from New Orleans’s voodoo queen just keeps on giving—leading to a personal favor that sends them into battle once again, this time against a villainous spirit.
Centuries ago, Heinrich Kramer was a witch hunter. Now, every All Hallows Eve, he takes physical form to torture innocent women before burning them alive. This year, however, a determined Cat and Bones must risk all to send him back to the other side of eternity—forever. But one wrong step and they’ll be digging their own graves.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Spoilers are in white (scroll over to reveal text)** 




I give One Grave at a Time 4/5 stars. 


One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost is so filled with action and suspense that you will not be able to set the book down for one minute. I found myself completing this entire book in just under seven hours, which is a new record for me. I typically like to stretch the Night Huntress novels out because they are so good and I always feel I have to wait years for the next (not really, I’m just overdramatic. The short story comes out next month). 

That being said, I did give this novel a four rating for a good reason. To be honest, even though the book was anything but boring, the romance was lacking. There are some things you come to expect from novels and for the Night Huntress series, it is sexuality. There is quite a few swoon moments between Bones and Cat that let the reader know they are just as in love as they were in the first novel (Halfway to the Grave). I might even goes as far as to say that their relationship is stronger than ever. They are no longer plagued by the typically trust issues new couples face. 

I’m typically not a person that complains about amount of sensual scenes in a novel but when it comes to Bones, I, like I said, have expectations. Bones and Cat are still getting freaky between the covers but many times it is a fade to black scenario. Something I have come to despise after this novel. There is one sex scene in the novel but I felt it was very dull. 


(Spoiler) I really enjoyed the flying sex scene. It was definitely something very new in the Night Huntress world. Having said that, I have read the famous ‘Angels Dance’ scene from” Archangel’s Consort” by Nalini Singh. I’m sorry to say this (since this is the first time I have ever brought Night Huntress hate) but Bones and Cat don’t measure up to the heat Elena and Raphael bring when flying. Bones needs to stay with his expertise. You know, bringing the heat in the bedroom, on the floor, in a truck, on the couch, in a garden, and against a tree. (spoiler)


Nonetheless, I am still amazed by how much I truly love every character in the Night Huntress world. I seriously don’t hate a single person/vampire (I even like the enemies for being so ruthless and evil). Not many authors can make every character in the book seem just as interesting and likable as the main characters. I even miss the side characters when they don’t make it into the storyline. Annette and Tate are probably the most disliked because they have interfered with Bones and Cat in the past but I love them. I was truly feeling some Annette and Tate withdrawl (though Tate does make a brief appearance). I was really surprised Mencheres wasn’t featured in this novel. However, he did have a few shoutouts and worked behind scenes a lot by helping the crew with find houses to stay at and vehicles to borrow. 

I wasn't expecting the short story excerpt at the end of the novel. Wow. October 25, 2011 is so far away. See? Overdramtic me. October 25 is like 56 days away. 

There is so much more I could say about this novel but I really want to keep the main spoilers out as much as possible. For this book you won’t want to know every plot. 

I originally posted this review September 1 23, 2011 on http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/171667357

No comments:

Post a Comment