Friday, March 30, 2012

First Frost (Mythos Academy, #0.5) by Jennifer Estep


First Frost by Jennifer Estep

First Frost by Jennifer Estep

I am Gwen Frost, and I have a Gypsy gift.  It's called psychometry - that's a fancy way of saying that I see images in my head and get flashes of other people's memories off almost everything I touch, even guys. 
My gift makes me kind of nosy. Okay, okay, maybe a lot nosy--to the point of obsession sometimes. I want to know everything about everyone around me. But even I don't want to know the secrets my friend Paige is hiding or the terrible loss that will send me to a new school - Mythos Academy, where the teachers aren't preparing us for the SATs, but to battle Reapers of Chaos.  Now I have no friends and no idea how my gift fits in with all these warrior whiz kids.  The only thing I do know is that my life is never, ever going to be the same.  .  .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I give First Frost by Jennifer Estep 4/5 stars for providing much needed background and more familiarity with the heroine before the first book in the series, Touch of Frost

This little short story is a great set-up the first book in the series, Touch of Frost. Though First Frost helped me connect more with the protagonist, I felt it was a bit dry in some areas. There were a lot of lengthy passages filled with details and barely any dialogue. The problem with too little dialogue and a lot of details is that it can become boring. 

Despite the little reservations I have about First Frost, I would still recommend the short story since it does provide more background of the heroines's family that come into play in beginning chapters of Touch of Frost.


I originally posted this review March 2, 2012 on http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/286520269

No comments:

Post a Comment