Friday, March 30, 2012

Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3) by Rachel Hawkins


Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins

Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins

Hailed as “impossible to put down,” the Hex Hall series has both critics and teens cheering. With a winning combination of romance, action, magic and humor, this third volume will leave readers enchanted. 

Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident. 

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I give Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins 4.5/5 stars. I did decide to round up to 5/5 instead of 4/5 stars. Though I really enjoyed this book, I can’t help but feel something was missing.

**Spoilers have been hidden in white. No need to fret. (just scroll over the white area to see spoiler text)
Spoilers from the two previous books (Hex Hall and Demonglass)  **


Spell Bound: 

In Spell Bound, the new installment in the Hex Hall series, Sophie has returned, alongside her family and friends, to embark on a journey filled with fear, torture, destruction, and death to prevent the Casnoff sisters from progressing with their plans to wreak havoc on the world using the newly uncontrolled and destructive demons.

Having been a few months since I read the first two books in the Hex Hall series ( Hex Hall and Demonglass), I found it very easy to get right back into the world. Rachel Hawkins is very soon becoming one of my favorite authors. Her writing is young, witty, and very refreshing. There were so many times that I found myself laughing uncontrollable throughout this entire book. One of the most important factors in any given book, aside from a good story, is good character development. I have to believe the characters are real. I can honestly say that, despite the paranormal element, these characters seem very real to me.


Sophie:

I love Sophie.

I wanted to add a favorite quote for her but I found I couldn’t just choose one. Sophie has the best dialogue by far in this novel. I could share all 22 favorite quotes of mine...but I feel it would ruin the book.

Sophie is the kind of heroine I look for in a novel; she’s independent, strong, has a good sense of humor, and a kind heart. I love that Sophie isn’t afraid to confront her fears for the sake fighting for something she believes in. I also credit Sophie for having such a wonderful personality; even in the threat of danger, she is never without a witty comment (that usually tends to get her in even more trouble.)

My only concern for Sophie (sorry spoiler)
 I'm not on board with her being offered the position as the new Head Council. True, she showed true courage in the face of impending doom and saved her peers but Sophie is like 17 years old. As far as I'm concerned, a far cry away from this sort of responsibility. Though I do think Sophie would be a great leader one day, she needs time to grow up and mature. (I'm very glad Sophie sees my point as well). (spoiler)


Archer: 

“I was expecting something like, ‘Oh, Cross, love of my heart, fire of my loins, how I’ve longed—’” 

Archer is back and yes, he’s still as amazing as ever (hence the witty little quote I had to share). I don’t think Sophie ever though it would be possible to find a man that is her perfect match. From their witty humor to their brash bravery, Archer and Sophie are a two-of-a-kind. One of my favorite things about their relationship, it that oh so funny banter between them. Just because they’re in love doesn’t mean they can’t still enjoy the thrills of teasing one another. (spoiler) I’m truly happy these two got their happy ever after moment. After what they went through in the past three books, they deserved it. I wish them luck in the future. :) (spoiler)


Cal: 

I have nothing to say. 

I’m totally and unbelievably disappointed. 

Though, I am happy Cal was able to find happiness at the end, even though I’m still upset about how it all went down. 


Recommend?: 

Absolutely! 



A little bit of banter to end a nice review, I think:

“What happened to the promise of making out in castles?” I asked as Archer and I pulled back for a breather. I was leaning back against one of the shelves, my hands clutching Archer’s waist. Over his shoulder, there was a jar of eyeballs staring at me, and I nodded toward it. “Because, see, things like that? Kind of a mood killer.”
He glanced at the jar and then turned back to me, waggling his eyebrows. “Really? I find it has the opposite effect.”
Giggling, I elbowed him in the stomach and pushed myself off the shelf. “You’re sick.”
He smiled and ducked his head to kiss me again, but I skirted around him. “Come on, Cross, we came down here for a reason, and it wasn’t fooling around.”
Smirking, Archer folded his arms over his chest. “May not have been your reason, but—”
I cut him off. “No. Don’t distract me with your sexy talk. We need to search this place . . .
The smirk disappeared from Archer’s face, and he actually looked kind of sullen.
“Are you honestly that bummed about not hooking up right now?” I teased.



I originally posted this review March 18, 2012 on http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/231643275

No comments:

Post a Comment