Friday, March 30, 2012

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) by Jennifer Estep


Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep


My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy—a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. 

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Typing this review up on my phone so I apologize if there are spelling errors. Auto-correct does what it wants.) 

I give Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep 5/5 stars for being highly amusing and winning my heart against the odds. 

My feelings before Touch of Frost 

I approached this series with very little expectations. From the title I was already able to predict that Touch of Frost would be an academy book. The academy storyline is really overplayed in YA. I was expecting the same repetitive story lines I have seen before. 

The heroine and hero: 

The protagonist, Gwen Frost, is a bonafide comic nerd and professional 'miss nosy.' Gwen is a gypsy and with that identity, she is giving the gift of seeing into peoples deepest, darkest secrets. Aside from that, she is good  hearted and brave. In a school filled with warriors, Gwen stands out. She is terrible at all things athletic and shows no hope of becoming a fierce warrior like everyone else. Having said that, Gwen is by means a Mary-Sue character. She has a silent strength that really helps her succeed in this school. 

As for the hero in the book, all I can say is, there was not nearly enough scenes with him. Logan is a Spartan. What that means is that he is dangerous by default; having the ability to use any object to kill. Other than being the man-whore of the campus, I can't really say much about him as he is still a huge mystery. 

My feelings on the Touch of Frost 

This novel totally blew me away. Touch of Frost starts off the usually 'academy way;' the protagonist is sent away to an academy to learn more about herself and how to control her powers. Once there, she must learn how to deal with everyday life on campus which consists of: mean girls, a sexy untouchable guy, and death. 

In mystery books, I'm usually able to point out the enemy immediately (tabs there is nothing more annoying then knowing who the enemy is when the protagonist doesn't). In Touch of Frost , it was as if I was putting the clues together along side Gwen. I felt we were both putting the clues together at the same time. Even when it came to the big reveal, I was just as in shock as Gwen. 

Recommend?: 

I would recommend this book to anymore. More specifically, people who have an interest in mythology.


I originally posted this review March 4, 2012 on http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/237470385

No comments:

Post a Comment