Friday, July 22, 2011

Reviewer for My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent


My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent


She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally. 

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


When I began his novel, I was already prepared for the, often described, “player” and “jerk” love interest. The “player” part I got. It seems that Nash has indeed a bit more experience with relationships versus Kaylee (and other than a few casual relationships, Kaylee’s experience is like very minimum). The “jerk” description throws me off. I kept waiting for Nash to start acting like the “jerk” I was expecting but it never came. Instead, I was overwhelmed by this sweet, patient, and understanding boy who was an extremely good boyfriend. If anything, Nash was more of the “sweet player.” So there, let that be his new descriptive term.

This book was really good. The paranormal element was very different from the norm that seems popular today (vampires, and wolves). Since there was such a different element, I felt like I was truly experiencing a different world. Let me tell you, I have no desire to live in Kaylee’s world. Nor do I wish to be her. Not because I don’t like Kaylee, but due to her paranormal powers. Holy cow, I would freak out if I knew the stuff she did (and when I say “freak out,” I mean more than she does. I would need to separate myself from society. )

Kaylee is a teen trying to figure out how she fits into this big dangerous world. However, the world isn’t exactly easy on Kaylee, she has a paranormal power that has the ability to make her social life a living hell. If that wasn’t worse enough, Kaylee has to live her life in fear that her aunt and uncle will once again send her back to the mental health floor at the hospital. What do you do when everyone thinks you are heading to crazyville? Luckily, Kaylee has a friend named Emma, who is exceptional good in dealing with her weird moments. Together, along with her love interest Nash, they try to figure out why Kaylee is having these experiences.



5/5 stars!



I originally posted this review in July, 2011, on http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/181194830

No comments:

Post a Comment