Saturday, July 28, 2012

Breathe (Sea Breeze #1) by Abbi Glines


Breathe


Breathe by Abbi Glines

Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island.

When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house she might have been normal enough to be excited about working for a rock star.

Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax but he fights his attraction. Relationship's never work in his world and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. By the end of the summer, Jax discovers he can't breathe without Sadie.

But can their love overcome the disparity in their lifestyles? Or will they have to learn how to breathe again?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I give Breathe by Abbi Glines, 4/5 stars for having such adorable characters and reminding how exciting first love is. 


Breathe Review:

When Saddie White finished school for the summer, she had planned to only work half-time as hired help for the rich alongside her mother, Jessica White. However, when Jessica declares herself too pregnant to work this summer, Saddie is forced to take over her job and work full time to support the both of them. Lucky enough, Saddie finds she truly enjoys her new summer job. From the warm hospitality of her fellow staff members to the new friends she has required, having never had time for friends before, everything seems to be heading in the right direction for her. That is until the owner of the summer home she is employed at, Jax Stone, shows up and turns Saddie’s world completely upside down. If falling in love with the person who signs her check every week isn’t bad enough, Jax is also the infamous rock-star heartthrob. 

When I first finished reading Breathe, I struggled to determine a fair rating. Though, I truly enjoyed the many aspect of this novel, there was one character in particular, for better terms, I wanted to strangle to death every time he/she showed up. I always favor the novels that bring out the intense emotions for me. However, in this case, I wished Saddie would have stood up to this character more frequently. Instead, I felt as though she promoted such poor behavior. For such a strong independent girl, I was shocked that she was so weak in this scenario.

How was that for indiscreet? 

Moving on...

Breathe was like a breath of fresh air on a warm summer evening. Yes, the story took place during the summer time but what I meant by that statement was that with most of the YA genre filled with immaturity and unnecessary drama, I was relieved that Saddie was so mature and grown-up. Due to her mother’s current state, Saddie was forced to become the sole provider for her family. She had responsibilities that couldn’t afford be sidetracked even during the hardest parts of her life. Since this is the case, I admired Saddie because I’m not sure many couldn’t walk in her shoes. 

One of my favorite scenes in the novel is when Jax offers to pay all of Saddie’s bills and she denies him. Here is the passage: 


“Tomorrow, will you go deep sea fishing with me?”

I faltered at his question. I worked every day but Sunday, he knew my hours.

“I still have a job,” I reminded him.

Jax frowned and shook his head. “You’re not still going to work for me.”

I stiffened.

“Jax, I have to work. If you don’t want me here, I have to go find another job.”

He placed a finger over my lips and shook his head. “No, I’ll take care of your bills and needs.”

I stepped back away from his arms. My stomach clenched. I would not be like my mother. I didn’t need a man to take care of me. He wasn’t going to pay me to spend time with him. I took a deep breath hoping I could explain this so he understood.

“Jax, listen, it is important to me that I earn my own money. I can’t be paid to spend time with you because it would make it cheap somehow. I want to be with you. There should be no money involved. I need to be an equal, and as crazy as it sounds, the only way I can hope to achieve that in any way is to work for the money I earn. Please, I enjoy working with Ms. Mary and Mr. Greg and even Marcus. I could go somewhere else if you don’t want me working for you, but I really like it here.” 



Saddie had the opportunity to enjoy a peaceful summer with her new love without the stress of working and paying bills. Yet, Saddie refused to allow herself to give up all her beliefs and become solely independent of her boyfriend just because it was the easy way out. 


Recommend?:

Yes. Breathe by Abbi Glines was very enjoyable and definitely a summer read for sure. 

For others looking for a comparison to other novels, I feel as though Breatheis the YA version of the novel Love Unscripted. Both deal heavy on the advantages/disadvantages of fame. 


Breathe and crtics:

Critics of this novel have sentenced it to a two star rating and below due to complaints such as corniness, unreal situations, and being too happy all the time. To that I say, um…it’s a fictional novel. Yeah there are some corny lines but isn’t that how first loves are? I remember specifically saying all kinds of cheesy things to my boyfriend when I was young. From, “you are the reason I wake up every day,” to “I believe every person on earth is born with half of themselves and they aren’t fully complete unless they meet our other half and become whole.” As for unreal, well, I will probably never meet a rock star teenage and fall hopelessly in love with him. It’s fictional and supposed to be a chance to experience a life that you or I will never have.

No comments:

Post a Comment