Sunday, April 15, 2012

Magic In the Blood (Allie Beckstrom #2) by Devon Monk


Magic In the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)

Magic In the Blood by Devon Monk


Working as a Hound-tracing illegal spells back to their casters-has taken its toll on Allison Beckstrom. But even though magic has given her migraines and stolen her recent memory, Allie isn't about to quit. Then the police's magic enforcement division asks her to consult on a missing persons case. But what seems to be a straightforward job turns out to be anything but, as Allie finds herself drawn into the underworld of criminals, ghosts, and blood magic.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Spoilers have been hidden in white. No need to fret. (just scroll over the white area to see spoiler text)**
I give Magic in the Blood by Devon Monk 4/5 stars for being just as good as its predecessor, Magic to the Bones, and maybe even more so. 


Is there multiple perspectives this time around?: 

I have to start out by saying that I really disliked the multiple perspectives POVs in Magic to the Bone between Allie and Cody. I'm rarely a fan of multiple perspectives to begin with (I think I only like two series that have this: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) series and Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1)series.) If you disliked this feature in the first book because of this, like me, rest assure, only Allie’s POV in this installment. 


Disclaimer: 

I really wish I would have reviewed this novel after reading it. Now, more than halfway through the next installment of this series, Magic in the Shadows, I have found myself unable to truly capture the awesomeness of this novel; mainly due to that terrible thing called memory loss. Oh, why can’t I remember everything single thing that takes places in a novel! I’m just as bad as Allie except my memory loss isn’t magic related.


Magic in the Blood: 

I can state that in this second novel in the Allie Beckstrom series, Devon, once again, does not disappoint. There is more mystery and suspense in this newest novel than one can handle. I stated this many times throughout my reviews: when it comes to novels with mystery, I prefer to not be the one solving things before the heroine. This is definitely not the case in Magic in the Blood. So many times I really thought I had everything figured out only to find I was in the wrong the entire time. 


Only problem I found:

I will put a spoiler warning but it really isn't too spoilery. 

(spoiler) Why did I give this novel a 4/5 rating? Why isn’t it 5/5? Well, I found the timing off a little bit. This entire novel takes place basically in one day. It just felt too much. I was confused how Allie was able to accomplished so much in such a short period. 

6:00am- 8:00am: 

Allie wakes up, showers, writes in journal, leaves for the police station (20-30 minutes to get there), answered a few questions and took a tour around the station, drove with police offer to Magic job location, performed Magic to figure out crime (this takes around 10-40 minutes), rode back to the police station to talk about magic job, decided to walk to coffee shop, attack scene at coffee shop, talks with coffee shop manager, returns home by bus. 

That was just the basic description of her morning. I left a lot of details out I’m not going to give away the entire first few chapters). 
However, maybe I’m wrong. Allie could be perfect at time management. (spoiler)

Zayion:

Quiet. Strong. Smart. Sexy. Zen attitude. Need I say more?

Recommend?: 

Yes. Whereas I felt Magic to the Bone dragged out a few times throughout the novel, Magic in the Blood did not. The pacing was pretty good (despite my reservations in my “spoiler section”). I significantly liked this novel much better than the first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment