Friday, March 30, 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.It can.She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.There is.She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.She's wrong.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Spoilers have been hidden in white. No need to fret. (just scroll over the white area to see spoiler text)**


I give The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin 4/5 stars for being highly suspenseful and very humorous despite the dark overtone of the novel. 


If you read nothing else in my review, read this: I can honestly say, I predicted nothing that happened in this book. 

My feelings on The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

I need to start out by explaining that this was a very difficult review to write. It wasn’t because I didn’t enjoy the novel, it was very entertaining. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is better read without any spoilers or hints to even what it is about. What makes this novel so enjoyable is because it is a mystery in which the reader takes on a ‘Sherlock Holmes’ role. From the first page to the last, I found myself caught up into a mystery I couldn’t solve myself. It was as if Mara and I were solving things together. This is refreshing  since a good majority of the books I read, the mystery is solved fast (and in my opinion, there is nothing more annoying than waiting for the heroine to catch up on your predications). 

I really felt the title, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, was truly fitting for this novel. The story is essentially about a girl who survived a catastrophic and living changing event and has now entered a self discovering journey. Mara has now found herself fighting to figure out who exactly ‘Mara Dyer’ was before the incident and what has become of her now. 

Mara Dyer: 

Mara Dyer began the novel as a fairly ordinary teenager who came from a good family, had an amazing best friend and a boyfriend of two months. She went to school, had B student grades and was a typical teenager by any one’s standards. However, all this changed the night Mara decided to sneak into an asylum with her friends and boyfriend. Now Mara Dyer has found herself caught in an internal battle to find her true self. Mara now contemplates questions like, “Who exactly is Mara Dyer?” and “Can the girl who survived that asylum really ever be the Mara Dyer she was before?” 

Noah Shaw: 

I was warned about Noah. 

I would be lying if it wasn’t a huge factor in me reading this book to begin with. 

My verdict: I agree. Noah is fairly sexy and rememberable. Noah has all the qualifications I look for in a hero: hot body, great sense of humor, makes caring and badass possible at once, and last but definitely not least sexy as hell. 

However, where as I agree with Noah’s hotness, I can’t agree with his other reputation: Better than Patch (via the Hush, Hush series). Though the two of them have many similarities (especially their motives to get the girl and that sexual humor), Noah, for me, was more of a Patch’s ‘little brother.’ 

My analogy: Patch is sex on wheels where as Noah would need to break out the training wheels. 

Recommend?: 

I would absolutely recommend this book. 


For the people who have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Here is my reason behind only 4/5 stars: 

(spoiler) After such as amazing build-up to Mara not being mentally unstable (and on the verge of the lonely bin) and actually having paranormal powers, I was sadly disappointed that we never figure out what exactly she was. Since I’m left to wonder myself, I’m thinking all kinds of things such as: alien, mutant, angel, etc . . . (spoiler)

I originally posted this review March 11, 2012 on http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/287222632

No comments:

Post a Comment